The power of Instagram is immense, although it is populated with irresponsible influencers and unethical brands, a small sustainable business can use the same platform to disrupt this monopoly.
Instagram continuously adds interesting features for businesses to benefit from, there is a lot to learn if you have just started out.
There is more than one way you can use Instagram for the benefit and growth of your sustainable business.
In this article, you will learn how to set up your own sustainable shop on Instagram.
- Instagram has so much to offer, and so many ways you can publicise your brand and make an impression.
- You can use their feed, stories and the going live option to inspire your audiences.
Instagram has a lot of users, so for a small sustainable business, this platform provides the perfect opportunity for you to connect with your audience.
- The consumer will also feel a closer connection with your brand if they actively follow you and like the content you post.
People find it easier to look for newer brands on Instagram so as an ethical brand you have this chance to introduce people to your products, why you choose to be a sustainable brand and how sustainability would benefit consumers in the long run.
Get approval to set up your Insta-shop
Once you have made the decision to use Instagram to run your sustainable business, there are some things you need to tick off your checklist to be eligible to have an e-shop on Instagram.
- Download the latest version of the app (if you already have one, then make sure its updated).
- Switch to a professional account (if you are wondering what is a professional Instagram account? Then click here to learn more)
- Make yourself the admin of your page
Set up a product catalog and link it with Facebook shop. Make sure you are selling goods and not services
- Once your business has a product catalog connected to your account, you will be tagging products in Instagram as easily as you tag a person.
This will also give your business the ability to tag a product straight from your mobile phone.
How do you get approval?
You’re probably wondering what the approval procedure is like? The first thing is to complete the steps listed above, once you are done, leave the rest to Instagram.
Instagram will review your profile to allow you access to this feature, bear in mind that it could take a few days and sometimes even more. But don’t worry, normally it doesn’t take too long.
Once you are approved you will be notified on your account, then you can focus on your next move of setting up your e-shop.
How to set up product tags
Now that you fit in the eligibility criteria and pass the review process, you can start tagging products on your Instagram account.
These tags are a great way to be more discoverable and boosting sales by enabling users to buy through your posts.
Here’s how you can enable product tagging
- Go to your Instagram page
- Click on the “get started” alert, you can find it at the top (if you can’t then go on options or the gear wheel)
- Select products
- Select continue
- Tap on the option to connect product catalog to your business profile
And you are done! Tap the Done button to finalise it!
Keep in mind that these options are only available to profiles who have been approved by Instagram to start product selling.
If you are unable to find this option, then chances are that you have not been approved yet.
This process is completed once you start tagging products in Instagram posts. Here’s what you need to do
Tag products from the Share screen once you have selected and edited the photo.
Tap over the products you wish to tag
Type in the names of each product in the photo and select the name as it appears on search box.
And you are done, just tap the done button and don’t forget to share once you are done
Instagram post insights
One of the benefits of having an e-shop on Instagram is their built-in metrics or analytics.
These insights let you have valuable data you would need to devise an efficient marketing strategy.
You would know your engagements and clicks and have access to data involving likes, impressions, reach etc. To learn more, click here.
This will be a brilliant opportunity for a small-scale sustainable brand to grow its business by having access to a wider audience.
Shoppable posts are easy to use, less expensive and user friendly. If you have read through the article, you are all set to start product tagging. Best of luck!